4 Dog Training Tips for a Successful New Year
Did you welcome a new dog into your family this holiday season? Or maybe find out your well-behaved pup was not so well-behaved during all the festivities? A new year is a time for reflection and resolution.
If you’re finding yourself slightly overwhelmed being a new pet parent, or if your favorite pal needs to brush up on some behaviors and manners as we enter 2023 – a comprehensive dog training program can help you start the next 365-some-odd days off on the right foot (and paw).
Here are just four dog training tips for a successful new year:
- Talk to your local luxury pet resort: Training programs are prevalent and come in many different shapes and sizes. Some personal trainers visit the home, big box pet shops offer their own classes, and local dog parks are the setting for other educational activities. But a luxury pet resort offers a truly comprehensive and customizable experience. Fit ‘N’ Furry, for example, delivers a one-of-a-kind experience with proven, positive results:
- Training is tailored to your pet’s unique needs and your family’s goals.
- Group and individual play sessions allow your dog to run, jump, and play with animals of similar size and social nature while keeping your pet mentally and physically engaged.
- Dogs get a good night’s rest in state-of-the-art, climate-controlled rooms while enjoying daily meals and treats, and consistent access to fresh water.
- Important follow-up meetings with the trainers give you the skills to reinforce good behaviors at home.
- Start puppies early: Any expert will tell you: socialization is paramount for puppies at a young age. Those initial weeks of life are the most formative for a growing dog, with many trainers suggesting classes between the ages of 12-18 weeks. Not only does early training help your puppy acclimate to the great, big world around them – allowing them to become accustomed to various sights, sounds, smells, and experiences – but constructive play with other animals and caretakers helps them to build social skills while mitigating the onset of separation anxiety. Fit ‘N’ Furry offers a safe, secure, and continuously monitored environment where your dog can garner skills that set them up for future success. Better yet, our resort offers free puppy socialization classes on Saturdays – Call ahead to reserve a spot!
- Set manageable goals: One of the most important dog training tips you’ll ever hear? Less really is more. A training professional can help you establish goals that are easy for you and your pup to achieve. Teaching your pup the basics – sit, stay, come, down, and more – will happen when you pair the right instruction with positive reinforcement techniques. You’ll get there. The key is consistency and a willingness to put the work in.
- Have patience. New behaviors and perfect scores don’t happen overnight. Practice makes perfect, as they say. When it comes to successful dog training, it’s important to allow ample time for your dog to learn new commands and overcome old behaviors. Take things slowly and provide plenty of positive reinforcement along the way. A training professional, like those at Fit ‘N’ Furry, can help you.
Fit ‘N’ Furry helps dogs of all breeds and ages succeed in our one-on-one training programs. Our certified team of professionals will help you with everything from a solid foundation in basic obedience to walking calmly on a leash, potty training, and addressing more challenging behaviors. Private training and advanced training classes are also available in our modern facility in Petaluma, CA, which is also convenient for pet parents and their pups living in Sonoma and Marin counties. Contact us today to schedule a free dog training evaluation.